We’re having a go-slow moment

Joe has been struggling with tennis elbow for the last few months but he has still been working, that is up until now. He has been put on sick leave by me so work hasn’t ground to a halt but it has slowed down. With Joe being out of action and me still wanting to get on with things he has given me a crash course in working with wood. I don’t do any jobs concerning wood ( apart from firewood) I measure it, cut it and it never fits 🙁 Also I have an aversion to power tools especially ones with wizzy blades. But needs must so with Joe’s help and expertise we set to building the stairs from the kitchen to the living room. It went something like, cut there, drill there, screw there etc etc, but we finally ended up with 3 out of the 6 steps completed and we can finally move round this part of the house without having to go outside. So I now know the difference between a chop and table saw ( I hate the table saw ) I quite like the router and as for the thicknesser planer, I don’t mind using it but it takes forever all though we tend to use that together as it makes the job a lot quicker. After the stairs were in place I finally started work on ” The Wall”. I’ve been putting it off for ages, even considered on more than one occasion of getting someone in and paying them to do it, but it is finally done and makes the kitchen feel a lot more finished.

The window frame is now finished again with Joe supervising and while I’ve been on with the above he’s been keeping me well fed and doing some finishing bits and pieces, we now have a Sheila maid up, a key rack, a ladder for accessing the mezzanine and a fire tong holder.
Now the wall is finished and the stairs are in place I can finish the tiling, that is when I pluck up the courage to use the angle grinder.

7 comments for “We’re having a go-slow moment

1. December 14, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Hey Joe and Julie! Sorry to hear about the elbow. I know you guys have been pushing it the last year, so it might be a blessing to take it a little easy. Everything is coming along, and looking great. How did that path end up setting?

• Joe
      December 14, 2015 at 6:35 pm

The path is holding up great, ( thank you for laying it ) we don’t know what will happen when it gets a good soaking as we haven’t had much rain yet but I’m sure it will be fine as it has had plenty of time to get well bedded in.

2. carol in penrith
    December 15, 2015 at 11:42 am

Julie, wow! what a hero …. l hate those power tools too, but you’ve really got stuck in. Poor Joe, does that condition with his elbow improve with rest? hope so. He’s lucky to have you. Any snow yet? lt’s on the fells here in depth. However as you probably know the floods have been the biggest problem. Wonder about your old home in Carlisle? Set out to walk from Threlkeld to Keswick yesterday but along the old railway track many of those strong metal bridges had been washed away. The new nature reserve at Thacka in Penrith has filled up and is a useful defence but the town is lucky having no river running through. Unlike Cockermouth that was hit again like many other places. Landslides have damaged roads and detours are obligatory. Very best wishes to you both from Penrith …..Carol and lain

• Julie
      December 15, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I’ve really enjoyed my little journey into working with wood, Joes elbows do get better with rest he just never rests them long enough as soon as they are feeling better he goes and does something he shouldn’t and it’s back to square one. We haven’t had any snow yet and very little rain, this year couldn’t be more different to last year. The sun is shining most days, there’s a little frost in the morning but on the whole it’s very mild. We worry about the lack of rain we’ve had this year but it might be normal for here we are just used to a lot of rain being from Cumbria. Some people say because it’s been so mild now that we will have a bad January but we will have to wait and see. The house we sold in Carlisle wasn’t affected by the floods, I’d have felt awful if it had been. Best wishes from both of us

3. Margaret VT
    December 16, 2015 at 2:08 am

Get better Joe and have a lovely restful Christmas and I hope next year is as exciting and challenging as 2015 has been for you both. It lovely to see your determination and enthusiasm give you so much pleasure and satisfaction. Floods bad, people great but it could a hard year for Cumbria.

4. Anonymous
    December 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Hope your elbow clears up soon Joe , don’t work too hard Julie ! I must admit I will try most things, but dislike power tools !!!
    Wish we had snow here instead of this continual rain, floods were horrendous, Denton Holme surprisingly was not too bad, Malcolm house was OK Just , so yours would have been fine , we are high and dry up here, was part of an art show at the newly refurbished Old Fire Station, that had 6ft of water in it, but we were on second floor, so all was dry, the show had a big opening Friday night and was over Saturday night short eh !
    Hope you both have great Christmas and wonderful New year Marilyn and Elo xx

• Joe
      January 8, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Pleased you and Malcolm escaped the flooding, bad news on the exhibition but lucky you were on the second floor. Hope Carlisle in general is recovering from the floods and hopefully something will be done to prevent it happening again xx

Comments on what we write are always welcome, we love to know what people think, but we'd love to know who you are as well! It makes replying easier!