Day 4 – Ribs and a mincer
We started the day off by picking all the meat off the head and hock, ready to press into the mould. As we hadn’t managed to split the skull before boiling it, we’d had to add a lot more stock than we’d originally planned. This meant that the gelatine mix was a lot weaker than we’d thought so we had to reduce the stock down by half to get the gelatine strong enough to set. Next time I’ll get a better saw and split the skull properly.
Next we tackled the ribs. I cut them up, while Julie minced the meat for sausages. It’s possibly not the best meat to use for sausages, but there was so much of it we didn’t know what else to do with it! We froze the ribs that were left for barbecued ribs. I also removed as much meat as I could from the neck and spine to add to the sausage mix. We ended up with about 13kg of sausage meat mix, so froze most of this for later use. This took most of the day!
Day 5 – Sausages and salami
With the fridges now getting a bit emptier, we could relax a bit more today. All we wanted to get done was sausages and salami.
We made two batches of sausages; a basic breakfast sausage and one with lots of paprika in. The basic mix was meat, 8% oven-dried breadcrumbs and 0.5% salt by weight, with added spices.
The salami mix was meat, 1/8th diced back fat, 2.2% salt, garlic, red wine and pepper. The salami go into beef casings as they are stronger than pork casings, and will withstand fly attack.