Why Bulgaria?

This is the most commonly asked question both from our helpers we’ve had this year and also from enquires on our blog; why move to Bulgaria, as opposed to Portugal or France where there are many more expats. So here goes!

It all started about 8 years ago when I was volunteering on an archaeology project. There I might an archaeologist from Eastern Europe ( Poland I think ) anyway we got chatting about what would you do if you could do anything “Have a small holding but there’s no way I can ever afford one”. His response was “Have you thought of Eastern Europe where properties and land are cheap”.  So that’s how it started.

Research began on Poland, Romania and Bulgaria. Bulgaria took the lead from the beginning mainly due to the cost of houses and the low cost of living. To make Bulgaria even more promising was that it has a low population (less than the population of London living in a country only slightly smaller than England) and has one of the highest bio-diversities in Europe.

After six years of research and pestering Joe, we realised that the more we looked at Bulgaria the more it seemed to offer us so in 2013 we finally decided to visit and it didn’t disappoint if anything it turned out to be more beautiful and diverse than we thought, so that in a nutshell is what brought us to Bulgaria.

8 comments for “Why Bulgaria?

1. October 5, 2015 at 7:59 pm

We definitely love Bulgaria for its low cost of living too! It’s hard to visit other places in Europe after getting such smashing deals on everything from houses to food to technology, and the warmth of all the people make up for what I imagine to be a very cold winter. We’ve also talked to other expats and have found a 50/50 split; some want to relocate to a Little London or a Little England, while others want to be the novelty in a village, the fresh-faced foreigner in for an adventure in a foreign land. 🙂

• Joe
      October 5, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Hi Mark and Melody! Yes, we found that split too. We feel that we fall somewhere between the two; definitely not little Englanders, and we’re not in a village where we are much of a novelty, but we’re certainly here because we’re up for an adventure! Hope your adventure goes as well as ours has done 🙂

2. Robyn Richardson
    October 5, 2015 at 9:56 pm

You two have pioneering spirits!

3. Duffy
    October 6, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Hello. Been reading your excellent blog as I’ve been researching as much as I can before coming over to look for my little house in spring. Great stuff, informative, and entertaining , thanks very much. Maybe next year some time when if found my spot, I can join you for a glass of wine and a sing song. Good luck and keep up the good work.

• Joe
      October 7, 2015 at 6:15 am

Hi Duffy, thanks for your kind words! Are you moving nearby? It would be great to meet up when you get here, stay in touch and good luck with finding your spot 🙂

4. Loll And Andy
    October 6, 2015 at 11:13 pm

We brought a property in the south of Bulgaria in a little village called Velika in 2004. Over the years we have used it as a holiday home. Last May we decided to move out here full time our first winter was not as bad as people had made out. We are the only English couple in village still. We have made some really good Bulgarian friends out here. My husband has been quick to pick up the language I struggle but will get there. We love it out here, people are so helpful and friendly. Loll And Andy.

• Joe
      October 7, 2015 at 6:18 am

Lovely to hear that you’re enjoying life in Bulgaria. We’re told that last winter was really mild, so still waiting for our first harsh winter. I hope we’re ready for it!

5. Ted
    October 26, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I just bought a place in August. Going to use it for hols for now and try to do it up to a standard I can rent it out or just let others use it. At the mo the shower consists of a large bucket to stand in with a big bottle of water and a jug to pour it. I’m back over ifor a week n November and hope to jerry rig a tankless calor gas shower. My loo is a dunny outback so I need to improve on that. And I’m cooking on a single burner camping stove. At least I got the place dead cheap, habitable and with some furniture. Transport is the big hold up, one bus from Obedinenie into VT a day and one back at night, wish I had a car over there. Met a few expats in the village, seems about six of us out of a population of 600.

Comments on what we write are always welcome, we love to know what people think, but we'd love to know who you are as well! It makes replying easier!