This month hasn’t gone quite to plan. It all started when we realised the cement floor in the kitchen was only 2 – 4cms thick. Bearing in mind we have a pillar holding the mezzanine floor up and the cooking peshka weighs 140Kg we didn’t think the floor in it’s current state was up to the job. On the good side it was so thin it was easy to dig up but it also meant getting acro-props in and removing the main pillar. The pillar supports the mezzanine floor which is set into a mud brick wall so all lime and sand plastering came to a halt until the floor could be placed back on it’s pillar. The whole process set us back a week and a half but at least now we know we have a good, solid, reinforced concrete floor. Joe has been busy working on the window frame which was going well until he broke the table saw ( Joe protests that he didn’t actually break it – it’s a cheap table saw and the motor overheated. It’s being repaired under warranty ) but we now have the frame in and are waiting on the glass to be delivered. Plans have been drawn up ( by Joe ) for the stairs but while making a jig for them he broke the router ( the bit should have been here today ) On the plus side the 3 walls of the kitchen are now plastered and have had their first coat of paint, I’m desperately trying to forget about the 4th wall as it needs so much work done on it.
The dogs have become real escape artists lately so we have had to reinforce our boundaries. So our boundary fence has had the posts and fencing removed and put back properly; this seemed to be working as our dogs haven’t escaped and no strays have got into the garden since it was done. While examining our boundaries we noticed part of the wall at the bottom of the garden ( the wildlife reserve ) had a definite lean to it ( so what’s a bit more cement ) this is now reinforced with 4 reinforced concrete pillars and while we were at it we might as well renew the battens and re-lay the tiles.
Then the pigs decided to make an escape attempt though the stone wall that leads onto the road but the external wall now has a cement base. Hopefully this will prevent any further attempts! Pigs are way more destructive than we’d ever thought possible.
While this work was done the pigs were put in the chicken run for a couple of days which they weren’t too happy about but every-one’s survived the experience. The only damage done is they have dug up the path in the chicken run which will now need to be re-laid.
We have managed to grab a bit of time in the garden. The vegetables are now coming to an end, only winter veg and some tomato and peppers left which is good news as the freezer is now literally full, so all though I didn’t want to spend time over a cooker in this weather some jarring has taken place.
We are changing the lay-out of the vegetable patches for next year so have started those and have worked out where we want to plant some new trees to provide some much needed shade. We also have decided more or less where and how big the pond/ natural pool is going to be and as things are with us it is going to be a lot bigger than we first planned.
All in all it’s been a really busy month, but we don’t seem to be much further on with the project than we were last month!