The weather took a turn for the worse at the end of November / beginning of December, too cold to carry on with the building work in the bathroom and too wet to do anything in the garden, but there was still work that could be completed ahead of when it was needed.
One of these was the bathroom sink. From the beginning we had decided we would use as much of what we got with the house as we could, even if initially some things didn’t seem to have a useful purpose. This was the case with the trenchers; we have 2 of them, they look interesting but apart from that we couldn’t think of a use for them. Then inspiration struck, one could become our sink in the bathroom. Yes, it’s taken a lot of work but now the cracks are filled and it’s been linseeded and varnished it looks great. ( well we think so).
There were other ideas which were going to be for Jan /Feb when it got cold so these were brought forward. In one of the barns was a collection of old wine barrels and we were short of a coffee table or two so to fill in the time I spent a week scrubbing, sanding, varnishing and painting them up and they are now coming in very handy.
The tailgate from a cart at first glance looked very uninspiring but a closer look and some careful cleaning revealed some beautifully hand painted roses, so this is now going to be a towel rail in the kitchen when that gets renovated next year.
You can never have enough shelves in the kitchen and I always hankered after a welsh dresser to put glasses on, so Joe made a Bulgarian version out of the partitions that came out of the corn shed.