Surplus apples

Apple cordial
Apple cordial

One of the problems we’ve found has been dealing with the huge amount of fruit that ripens all at the same time. We’ve got so many apples, it’s been hard knowing what to do with them all. We’ve got loads peeled and frozen, ready for pies and crumbles in the winter, some that are in really good condition are being stored in a crate under the bed in the spare room, and we’ve eaten lots! But there’s only so many apples you can be bothered freezing, so what to do with the rest?

I found a lovely recipe in one of my cookbooks for fruit cordials, so decided to have a bash at making some. I put all the apples, peel, core, the lot, in a pan with enough water to cover them up. Boiled them until the apples were soft and mushy then strained the juice off overnight. Then I added 1/2 lb sugar per pint of juice, and boiled that, scooping off the grey scum that forms as the impurities separate out. Then bottled it in a sterilized bottle.

The results are delicious, I’ll be making this one again with the next batch of apples that are about due to fall. Really refreshing in the heat, with cold water, but even better as a hot toddy. I had some on a chilly evening with hot water and a nip of rakia. Delicious, and I can’t wait for more cold evenings as an excuse to curl up in front of the pechka and have some more.

8 comments for “Surplus apples

1. carol in penrith
    September 22, 2014 at 11:04 am

will try this recipe myself … any idea how long it will lasts? Hot toddies in winter sound delicious ….. xfrom Penrith

• Joe
      September 22, 2014 at 11:17 am

Hi Carol, I’ve no idea how long it lasts, but I’ll do a report at the end of winter as to what lasted and what didn’t. I’m sure it will last well, as there’s a lot of sugar in it. Too much for Julie’s taste, but you need it to preserve the juice.

• Marilyn Laugesen
        September 22, 2014 at 12:18 pm

How about Cider !!!!

2. Sally
    September 22, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Chutney! Delicious with cheese, ham and all you need are some vinegar proof lids for your jars. If you need any recipes, let me know?…….. and good gifts for your neighbours ☺

3. Margaret VT
    September 23, 2014 at 12:55 am

Chutney Joe Chutney. Be prepared to be eating the same batch next year too because it sounds like you have a lot. My old granny used to wrap really sound apples individually in newspaper and put them in a shed where they kept through out the year. You need to check them regularly to test for decay and the type of apple also varies how long you can keep it. Perhaps you have a small market near to trade?

• Joe
      September 23, 2014 at 10:55 am

Thanks for the newspaper tip Margaret. I’m trying storing a few choice ones this year to see how they do. I turn them every week. We do have a local market, but I’m not brave enough to try setting up a stall yet! Maybe next year. In the meantime we can make things and trade with other people, or give things as gifts.

4. Karen - Carlisle
    September 25, 2014 at 7:10 am

Hi Joe and Julie…apples have the highest amount of natural pectin, so brilliant for making natural pectin concentrate for making jams etc. use old (fallen) apples for this. I shall try get you the method for it if you like.
    Cider is what another couple are making in village not far from you – they’ve made a deal with local pub as buying cider is extremely expensive in BG, it’s quite new there (apparently) – hmmmm home brew! 🙂

• Joe
      September 25, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi Karen, thanks, making pectin would be great. Can you can drop us a message with the method?

Comments on what we write are always welcome, we love to know what people think, but we'd love to know who you are as well! It makes replying easier!