Sad tasks

Unfortunately, it’s not all fun and games here in Bulgaria. We are creating a food-rich environment for ourselves, and lots of other pests are keen to get in on the game. This includes numerous mice, rats and moles, as well as moths etc.

Having tried various methods of dissuading the rats we’ve resorted to trapping them; they managed to spring the traditional traps and steal the food, the electronic bleeper thing didn’t work, so we got these humane traps. I then have to drown them, a task I don’t enjoy, but it’s necessary to protect our own food source.

We’ll never be without rats and mice, but we can at least control their numbers and stop them getting out of control.

Caught a rat
Caught a rat

10 comments for “Sad tasks

1. Jenny Sprod
    September 10, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Needs must. I contacted DEFRA to find out the most acceptable way of killing a grey squirrel & it was suggested that I put it in a sack & whack its head. The squirrels continue alive, free & happy in our garden! I wonder what cooked rat tastes like.

• Joe
      September 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I don’t know Mum, if we run out of food over winter I’ll be letting you know!

2. Robyn Richardson
    September 10, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I feel for you. I don’t know if I could handle it myself!!

3. September 10, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Oh how awful for you to have to do that. I can’t stand them and they do wreck any crops, but I couldn’t bring myself to drown them :~( – There’s nothing else for it you two, you will HAVE to get a sprightly terrier or two (excellent ratters) and a cat – better get one that can run fast though :~)

• Joe
      September 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm

We’re off to a nearby village to get a rat-catching cat this weekend, and we’ve got one that visits occasionally who helps keep the population down, so hopefully won’t have to do this for too much longer!

4. Marnus
    September 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Hi Joe, can a cat not take some of these chores off your hands?

• Joe
      September 10, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Hey Marnus! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, we’re on the case and hopefully acquiring a fully-trained lethal cat this weekend. We’ll report back on how it get on in it’s new surroundings. Hope you are all well in SA.

5. Marilyn Laugesen
    September 10, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Good luck with the cat , I have had many many cats, and most of them have not been interested in catching their food, maybe too well fed !!! …

6. marnus
    September 11, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’ll bet on the bulgarian cat doing the right thing.

Else I can bring you a cape genet in October… They do not mess around.

• Joe
      September 11, 2014 at 5:08 pm

That sounds great, but I don’t think they’d survive -30 deg C in the winter! Are you visiting Europe in October? You must visit if you are able, we’d love to see you all!

Comments on what we write are always welcome, we love to know what people think, but we'd love to know who you are as well! It makes replying easier!