Days 3 and 4
I have added more flour and water mix, increasing the hydration ratio. This has given added bulk to the mix. After two more days of agitating three times a day it’s starting to rise properly, large bubbles appearing and it seems to have a more stable structure. The smell is wonderful; really apple cider vinegar, with a warm, earthy undertone.
Added more flour and water mix. The smell of the starter is getting stronger, more acidic. The activity is very vigorous at first, but slows down after a while. A good structure is developing as the dough decreases in hydration with each successive addition of flour and water. This morning I used the starter to make the mother. I’ve to leave that for 4 – 8 hours to develop and rise, then it’s ready!
The dough is now at 70% hydration (reccipe altered slightly from the original) and is still extremely sticky. I think I will aim for a 65% hydration overall when I do the next phases.
Next step, do some calculations and make some bread.